Thursday, July 07, 2016

{Spotlight Project} Becca Blacks Out


Have no fear! Contrary to the title, I have not over-imbibed or fainted. Instead, I've experimented with something new: Blackout poetry.



The world of Instagram is a dangerous place - so many cards to get lost in, pretty things to be tempted to purchase and projects to drool over. But it is also fodder for worlds of inspiration, as in this instance. I found a brilliant artist by the username of flyaway_69. She creates GORGEOUS works of blackout poetry art. Seriously. Go check her out. You won't be sorry. 

After pondering and drooling over her pieces for a good long period of time, I decided I was going to try a piece of blackout poetry myself. 

I started by finding a page from a book and finding a poem within the words. 


.....Let's just say this is a lot tougher than it sounds. 
I stared at this fleepin' page until I was crosseyed and frustrated. 
I played with words and danced with phrases.
FINALLY the right serious appeared.

To start a page, circle or square off the words you want. 


Next, I darkened the squares and used a Spectrum Noir marker to blackout the rest of the words. I stamped the suitcase from the Born to Roam set. 


Using the same stamp set, I created a path of footprints using Ranger Archival Black ink. 


I darkened some areas of the gray main area to add dimension and outlined a title for the poem. 


Lastly, I outlined the footprints in white gel pen and filled in the title with the same medium. 

And I have a completed piece of blackout poetry, which I will probably frame and place next to the piece I purchased from Flyaway_69. 

It's not as good as hers, mind, but it's a great first attempt and I'm excited to try it again. 


Don't forget, if my project has inspired YOU to try a piece of blackout poetry, be sure to link it up to our Spotlight Showcase so we can ogle it, say nice things to you, and also try to give you free prizes. 


18 comments:

  1. This is Brilliant Becca!! I think I'll have my kids do this as a writing assignment..They will thank you for it later HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great idea, LauraJane! Haha! I hope they don't hate me.

      Delete
  2. This is super cool! Love your page and the whole blackout poetry thing. One more cool thing to do with old book pages--Love it! :) (and thanks for sharing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new idea to me and I enjoyed your blog post. What a fabulous idea and love your piece of art. Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Something new to try! I'll be sure to check out the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating piece of work - and challenging! Well done Becca
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very cool! Love it! It's not great for your first time... it's just great. Period!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is altogether a different idea than what I thought when I saw it! So interesting Becca! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting technique. Impressed you found a useful sentence. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOOOVE it....combination of my two loves.... in a really artistic manner. Yours is brilliant. Must check out Insta...fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)