Thursday, April 21, 2016

{Spotlight Project} Becca Masks Around the World


Today's card is going to feature a little bit of washi, a little bit of Distress Spray Stain, a little bit of masking and a whole lot of awesomeness!


Although masking is not my most favorite of stamping techniques (something about fussy cutting, lining up perfectly, and having white space just don't mesh well with any of my talents, unfortunately), I will occasionally make an exception if I can't get a design out of my brain.

This happens to be one of those occasions where the stamps stared me down and forced me to undertake some masking.


I wanted the suitcases from the Born to Roam set to be in the foreground, so I stamped them first and then proceeded with the whole business of fussy cutting a mask.

One reason why I'm brave enough to do multiple layers of masking now is because of the MISTI. It really is the Most Incredible Stamping Tool Ever Invented. I can't tell you how many masked panel attempts I threw away before I bought this. Worth every penny.




I carried on with the masking and, once I had everything where I wanted it, I colored up my scene.

Next - I needed a background that would match my colors. Rather than dig through my scraps of patterned paper, I decided to make my own!



I spritzed Twisted Citron and Blueprint Sketch Distress Spray Stains onto a dry piece of watercolor paper and let it all mingle together.



Once it dried, I added some random bits of washi, embossed a sentiment and glued it all together. Voila!


 If you make something inspired by Becca's project, don't forget to link it up to our Spotlight Project ShowcaseEach month or for every 25 entries in the linky, we'll randomly draw a winner who'll receive a $15 gift certificate to the shop.  Plus we'll also pick 3 players whose entries we think stood out and one of  them will win her choice of 5x7 stamp set and a Spotlight Project guest designer spot :o)

19 comments:

  1. Awesome inky goodness, Becca! Great card, love the tape accent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Absolutely stunning Becca, thanks for sharing this beautiful card Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunner, love everything about it. Well done for persevering with the masking! I love the Blueprint Sketch and Twisted Citron colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Becca! Your coloring is magnifico! I love the background you have created! The washi tape is a great add!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunner - love this Becca
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzers! I'm so glad those stamps stared you down. What an amazing outcome from all your fussy cutting and masking. It's just incredible, girl...maybe you'll should try the technique more often because this is a total success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh Becca... this card is super awesome! Love the masking work and the background is super fun! Love the washi too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE how you created you own patterned paper with the distress ink. FABULOUS card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that masking! Great job! Love the background colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think YOU stared those stamps down and showed them who's boss! Fabulous stamp combination, with perfect masking (I always wind up with a 'gap' at some, or several, spots). Your vibrant brushos background: brilliant! "Go with all your heart"...yes! Love this!!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card, Becca. Love the distressing and the overall theme of traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made such a simple looking layout look simply fabulous. Masking is a tricky thing and I tend not to do it often either. Loved the travel theme gorgeous background and bits and bobs you added to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great card. Love how you made the vibrant background:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous masking, great colouring in. Great new stamps and gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. Well worth all that fussy cutting. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)